MOAI – Flying Vehicle
Multiple Operation Air Investigation
Aim of our project was the implementation of an automatically operating flying vehicle based on a platform called “Quadcopter” which is similar to a remote controlled helicopter.
Aided by GPS it was able to perform the following tasks
- Automatic flying according to waypoints
- Following planned routes
- Flying to certain points of an area (selected on the computer, e.g. by Google Earth)
- Tracking a moving transmitter (finding of “avalanche victims”)
In order to provide a high range of operation – including live pictures of an attached webcam – all control data was transferred via mobile phone network.
Some of our challenges were
- Weight problem (max. 300-400 g of cargo)
- Recognition and evasion of obstacles
- Recognition and interpretation of current position and flight attitude
- Independent reaction to unexpected incidents (to avoid crashes)
- Recognition of surroundings and pathfinding in unknown terrain
This project has been completed.